Transit Trust To Submit New List Of Candidates
By Suzy Valentine
The hunt for four representatives for a countywide transportation trust continues with a shortlist of names expected by Aug. 9, after four commissioners rejected previous candidates.
The selection process is to be completed after Aug. 12, when Miami-Dade County commissioners return from summer recess.
The Citizens’ Independent Transportation Trust has 15 seats, 13 of which represent the county’s commission districts. The other two are appointees of County Manager George Burgess and Mayor Carlos Alvarez.
The trust oversees spending of the half-percent sales tax approved in November 2002 that finances the county’s People’s Transportation Plan.
The first term for trust representatives expired in May and the county’s 13 commissioners were presented with shortlists of potential replacements. Four rejected everyone on the first list given to them.
Commissioners Barbara Jordan, Barbara Carey-Shuler, Bruno Barreiro and Natacha Seijas are to revisit the selection process once applications received last week are assessed. Each will be presented with a slate of four candidates for their districts – 1, 3, 5 and 13.
The trust’s executive director Nan Markowitz said she didn’t know the criteria for commissioners’ evaluations of applicants.
"I don’t know what makes them reject or accept candidates," Ms. Markowitz said. "We forward the lists and it is their responsibility to interview the hopefuls. One of the first considerations, I imagine, is that the individual has the drive and the time to be involved in civic activity. One of the questions on the application form asked why they want to be involved."
Commissioners who vetoed their first candidates were unavailable for comment.