Miami Police detail their use of ICE partnership
Written by Genevieve Bowen on July 1, 2026
Miami officials last week outlined the scope of the police department’s participation in the federal 287(g) partnership with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, saying the city initiated 14 immigration detainers during its first year in the program.
The update came nearly one year after commissioners narrowly approved the agreement amid public opposition last summer. During the June 25 commission meeting, officials detailed how the program operates, including when trained officers become involved, how detainers are issued and why city figures differ from totals on the state dashboard.
The discussion unfolded as dozens spoke during a roughly two-and-a-half-hour public comment session, overwhelmingly opposing the city’s participation in the ICE partnership. It also came the same day the U.S. Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration to proceed with ending Temporary Protected Status protections for more than 350,000 Haitians and about 6,000 Syrians, a decision with major implications in Florida, home to a large share of TPS holders.
Commissioner Christine King, who sponsored the discussion and voted against the agreement in June 2025, said the goal was to address misinformation and clarify implementation. “Let me be clear, my position has not changed,” she said, reiterating her opposition to the city voluntarily entering the 287(g) agreement.
The federal program allows local law enforcement agencies to partner with ICE by training officers to perform certain immigration-related functions. The agreement passed in a 3-2 vote on June 17, 2025, with supporters citing public safety and state compliance, and opponents warning it could undermine trust in immigrant communities.
City Manager James Reyes said Miami police have not used immigration status as a basis for arrest since joining the program. “Immigration status has had no factor whatsoever in any of the charges or detainers applied by the City of Miami Police Department,” he said.
Mr. Reyes said then-Chief Manuel Morales initially assigned three detectives for ICE training under the Task Force Model. Two remain available but continue regular duties and assist only when needed.
Under department guidelines, trained detectives are brought in after serious-crime arrests to determine whether ICE has outstanding detainers. Patrol officers were also told to flag the 25 most frequent repeat offenders in each district for review.
Those procedures resulted in 14 immigration detainers during the program’s first year, Mr. Reyes said. Eleven came from serious-crime investigations and three from repeat-offender referrals.
Mr. Reyes also addressed discrepancies in Florida’s 287(g) dashboard, which attributes 451 detainers to the MPD. He said 437 were issued after individuals were booked into the Miami-Dade County jail following city arrests, not directly by Miami officers.
Because Miami is listed as the arresting agency, the dashboard reflects the city’s name even though county authorities issued the detainers later, he said. “I think it’s imperative that our community understands that,” Mr. Reyes said, adding the department wants residents to continue reporting crimes regardless of immigration status.
Police Chief Edwin Lopez, who recently took over MPD, echoed that message, urging residents not to avoid calling 911 out of fear of immigration enforcement. “I do not want anyone in the community to feel like we are the boogeyman,” he said. “If you’re here committing crimes and you’re in custody, we’re going to look at every angle to prevent repeat offenses.”
Pressed by Ms. King on whether officers stop people based on appearance or request immigration documents during routine encounters, Mr. Lopez said they do not.
Ms. King and Commissioner Damian Pardo reiterated opposition to the agreement but said the discussion aimed to clarify implementation. Mr. Pardo also questioned whether the city could withdraw. City Attorney George Wysong warned state enforcement actions could expose the city to legal risk, citing attorney general warnings to Fort Myers and Key West suggesting termination of 287(g) agreements could violate Florida law banning sanctuary policies.
Mr. Wysong said consequences could include litigation, removal proceedings against officials and loss of state or federal funding. He noted Miami has about $7.5 million in state appropriations pending, along with federal funding tied to programs including Community Oriented Policing Services grants, the Urban Area Security Initiative and FEMA assistance, which could be jeopardized if deemed noncompliant.
Commissioner Rolando Escalona, who came to Miami from Cuba 12 years ago, said the discussion reflected broader anxiety in immigrant communities regardless of implementation. “This is about the fear we see in our community,” he said. He recalled starting a new family with the birth of his twins seven months ago. “Two weeks after they were born, I was right there getting a passport because I was afraid. I’m a U.S. citizen,” he said.
He added that his wife, who has no criminal history, recently received an immigration notice that left them sleepless. “My wife three weeks ago got a letter from immigration. My wife has no criminal record; she has never been stopped, nothing. She’s a resident. She had to go do her fingerprints … and for a full week we couldn’t sleep,” he said.
Ms. King, who was born in Guyana and moved to Miami as a child, similarly said fear persists among residents despite assurances, saying she knows U.S. citizens who now carry passports because they fear immigration encounters.
The discussion ended without action to modify or end the agreement. Mr. Pardo encouraged residents to report conduct they believe violates policy, while Ms. King said she hoped the briefing would clarify the program and reassure residents that Miami police are not targeting people based on immigration status.





Recent Comments