Recent Comments

Archives

  • parking.fiu.edu
Advertisement
The Newspaper for the Future of Miami
Connect with us:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin
Front Page » Government » Mayor Suarez pledged $1 million to nonprofit, but commission rejects it

Mayor Suarez pledged $1 million to nonprofit, but commission rejects it

Written by on January 31, 2023
  • www.miamitodaynews.com
Advertisement
Mayor Suarez pledged $1 million to nonprofit, but commission rejects it

The Circle of Brotherhood’s social media biography reads “Black Men Solving Their Own Community Problems,” a slogan that seems appropriate after the City of Miami failed to make good on a promised $1 million in federal funds for the black-led nonprofit.

In October 2021, Mayor Francis Suarez held a press conference and presented an oversized check for $1 million to the Circle of Brotherhood for its unwavering commitment to the Black community. The nonprofit was formed in 2013 to address issues related to increased violence in Miami’s fifth district.

Since its formation, the Circle of Brotherhood has provided programs dedicated to community service, crime prevention, youth mentorship and economic development in the city’s Black neighborhoods.

After being deferred for over a year, the city commission held a Jan. 26 vote to approve the funding. The resolution ultimately failed 3-1, with Commissioner Alex Diaz de la Portilla dissenting after a circular line of questioning from Commissioner Joe Carollo prompted concerns about how much money the nonprofit had in the bank.

Commissioner Manolo Reyes moved to vote in the morning, but Chairwoman Christine King insisted they wait until afternoon to allow Mr. Carollo and Mr. Diaz de la Portilla more time to discuss the matter. The resolution required a four-fifths vote to pass. With the district two seat vacant, all sitting commissioners needed to vote in favor.

When commissioners returned an hour and a half late for the afternoon session, Mr. Carollo asked for clarification on how the funds would be dispersed. The funding comes from a $137 million package the city received from the American Rescue Plan Act, or ARPA. The monies would be paid out as reimbursements pending the Circle of Brotherhood accurately documenting its expenditures.

This prompted Mr. Carollo and Mr. Diaz de la Portilla to speculate about the group’s financial portfolio. “How do we know that whatever monies we’re going to reimburse them, they have in the bank?” Mr. Carollo asked.

This sparked a back and forth between the two commissioners and an Office of Management and Budget staff member who reiterated that the group is required to submit detailed information on what it has spent before it is reimbursed.

Despite it being explained that the money would only be paid out as a reimbursement, Mr. Carollo and Mr. Diaz de la Portilla continued to question whether the Circle of Brotherhood had sufficient funds.

“I find that question pretty insulting because we have more than sufficient amount of funds in our bank account right now to cover any reimbursement that we possibly can get from the city,” said Lyle Muhammad, executive director of the Circle of Brotherhood.

Mr. Muhammad said no other organization under the 2021 ARPA regulations had its finances scrutinized as the Circle of Brotherhood did. Earlier that day, the commission unanimously approved $500,000 in ARPA funds for another nonprofit with no discussion of its finances.

Background information on the resolution noted that the city’s ARPA consultant reviewed the Circle of Brotherhood’s funding request and determined it is eligible to receive ARPA funds.

The city’s refusal to award the Circle of Brotherhood the $1 million it promised comes after the organization criticized the commission for not supporting the Black community. Over the past few months, the brotherhood has consistently expressed disappointment in the commission after commissioners ousted the Virginia Key Beach Park Trust and ceded its control to themselves, eliminating the majority Black leadership.

Candidate for District Two commissioner Kathy Parks Suarez encouraged the commission to reconsider and support the Circle of Brotherhood.

“I’ve worked with these people and what they do is amazing. All they’ve asked to do is go to the first step. They have so much paperwork they have to do to get to the next step,” Ms. Parks Suarez said. “We have approved other projects for ARPA for money to the West Grove to go on to the federal level that absolutely are questionable. I would be more than happy to meet with you all.”

Despite not receiving the funding that Mayor Suarez promised, the Circle of Brotherhood assured commissioners they will continue to support Miami’s Black community, with or without help from the city.

3 Responses to Mayor Suarez pledged $1 million to nonprofit, but commission rejects it

  1. Benita Joe

    February 1, 2023 at 9:42 am

    As live roght around the corner from this COB org. And i witness the grwat work these people are doing. They deserve Federal fundings to continue doing Great deeds across the City.

  2. Anthony scott

    February 6, 2023 at 11:23 am

    These young men worked day and night during the Pandemic. Doing what ever it took to support the community.. Not never mentioned these young men had a successful diaper bank drive for everyone in the surrender areas giving all mothers out of work diapers and clothing for there children

  3. Mark Harris

    February 6, 2023 at 9:03 pm

    Yes ,, They Do Deserve It ,, Black Man’s Fighting For They Community ,, solving problems in the community, reaching out to the community serving the community

  • www.miamitodaynews.com
Advertisement