Developers study North Miami Beach’s tennis complex
The City of North Miami Beach gave local developers an opportunity to learn more about a 10-acre P3 development opportunity and explore creative ways to reimagine the space.
During last week’s private pre-solicitation open house for the proposed city-owned development site at Arthur I. Snyder Tennis Complex at 16851 W Dixie Hwy., city officials and staff presented to developers a one-of-a-kind proposition geared to improve economic development, add open green space and enhance the quality of life and place for residents and visitors.
“This is also an extension of the conversations that everyone has been having about how we solve affordable housing issues here in Miami-Dade County,” North Miami Beach Vice Mayor Mckenzie Fleurimond told developers during the event at the Julius Littman Performing Arts Theater. “The way you do it is by adding inventory. The way you do it is by working with the private sector. We welcome opportunities to talk with the private sector and creatives as to what the City of North Miami Beach will look like five and 10 years from now.”
An important phrase to keep in mind is “social entrepreneurship,” he said.
“Because that’s key and that’s very important. A lot of the conversations that we’re having in North Miami Beach are surrounded by locations that are very important to us and have a historical component that we want to keep,” the vice mayor added. “We want to make sure that whoever we decide to partner up with and work with, understand that and make sure that we preserve history. We can preserve green space, we can add amenities, and we can add opportunities for our city to flourish.”
When considering design plans, the city wants to feed off of and enhance visitation to the Ancient Spanish Monastery, which is right next door.
The city also invited Miami-based Architect Kobi Karp to give a generalized vision or ideas on how a mixed-used building might fit at the site.
“We want to have an open dialog, an open mind and open heart,” Mr. Karp said, “and basically create a place where the community can benefit and really give the 10 acres back to the community and improve it with the residential component or whatever component is that you desire to be placed back.”
The city is now issuing invitations to negotiate with the intent of obtaining responses from interested and experienced developers with a proven track record of undertaking and successfully completing mixed-use developments, said Phillip Ford, the city’s chief procurement officer.
“Now these developments can include but are not limited to commercial retail, residential units, hotels and green space,” he said. “Now within the efficient negotiating process, what we are looking for is a response and commitment from the developer that you intend to enter into negotiations and a subsequent contract with the city.”
The city is anticipating having all invitations to negotiate by mid-September.
“Again, that is not set in stone,” Mr. Ford said. “Then, we are going to advertise the information and negotiate anywhere from 45 to 60 days.”
Next, the evaluation process is to take place, which can take from three to four weeks.
“The first thing is we will be reviewing for responsiveness. Then subsequently those proposals will be forwarded to the evaluation selection committee,” Mr. Ford added.
The next step would be community engagement. Depending on how many businesses are shortlisted, this process might take up most of January 2023.
“We will then take it to our governing board as a recommendation,” Mr. Ford said, “and if all goes as anticipated, the next step is to enter into negotiations with the selected firm and subsequently have a contract.”





Barbara Kramer
August 31, 2022 at 7:42 am
Shame on you for not doing your due diligence while writing about this. Is it not suspect that two of six Commissioners and the Mayor knew NOTHING about this proposed development? Why did you interview the revolving positioned Vice Mayor? Why is his voice narrating some of the video loop om the presentation? If any figure head should do that, shouldn’t it be the Mayor of NMB? Why was I lied to numerous times when asking about this once I received the city calendar invitation for it? Why were members of the Ancient Spanish Monastery meeting with city staff and a developer prior to me ever hearing about it? Why is the cart before the horse and why would the city host a lavish party, spending North of 60k of taxpayer money to woo developers when they’d salivate to develop 10.6 acres of city greens pace without the fanfare?
This curious NMB City Commissioner wants to know,!
Bevvyanne
August 31, 2022 at 3:02 pm
Building special apartment buildings for section 8 is not a necessity … Any owner of a apartment building can accept section 8 .or the many other different programs ..
Leslie Sardinia
August 31, 2022 at 3:22 pm
There are only 5 people that know what is happening in NMB. That means the Mayor, 2 commissioners and all the constituents, (voting residents) are IN THE DARK!!!
Randy Rose
September 1, 2022 at 9:16 am
Most Cities around the country are country are figuring out how to purchase land for public space. Not take public space and do joint ventures.
Take a good look around all the private developments going on within the city of NMB . Not only will this bring in Huge tax dollars to the City of NMB it will also bring in tax dollars to Miami Dade County.
With all the current and future developments, we the city of NMB need more public space for all the residents.
Look at existing private properties around town change some of the zoning and new creative beautiful development (s) on those properties.
Now you increased tax dollars , created new developments, more residential, commercial space on private properties.
If the City of N M B wants to become a tenant on land that they already own , then I believe some of the Powers to Be are not thinking wisely about our current generation and our future generations.
We all know in the long term it “always make sense” to be a owner vs a tenant .
The City of NMB can very much afford to keep ALL of the Tennis courts property on West Dixie Hwy. Look around all the developments going up now. All the current and future residents need this property. If you want to improve the property to get more people in the area clean it up add pickle ball courts , nice bigger club house. Own it do not sell it or lease it. If you need to sell it then only sell to Miami Dade County parks and recreation with the understanding that the land can never be sold or leased or any joint venture miami dade county ever and always to be used as a park .These would be in the Deed as a restriction .
I not a attorney so get legal advice.
I am and have been a Real Estate Broker for over 40 years Selling and Buying for clients and myself in the City of NMB and the surrounding areas.
Yes I am for development, but not on property that is owned Cities .
I do not need to tell you or show you a list of private properties that should be redeveloped , increase the zoning, now you have your tax dollars with newer improvements including green space and more. Please Do Not Sell or Do Any Joint Ventures on Any Public Properties
Thank you
Asher
September 1, 2022 at 3:56 pm
This vision is not shared by all the North Miami Beach Commissioners, the Mayor and many residents of NMB. This idea was conceived behind closed doors by these four North Miami Beach Commissioners that voted as a block at the City Commissioners’ meeting to solicit proposals from developers to purchase and develop the city park and Judge Arthur Snyder tennis courts. Paule Villard, Daniela Jean, McKenzie Fleurimond and Michael Joseph, supported by Arthur H. Sorey, III, City Manager. Over the objection of Mayor DeFillipo, the other commissioners, and many residents of North Miami Beach. There was no discussion or comments from the residents allowed during the last Commission’s meeting, August 16, since the four commissioners voted to move this item to a Consent Agenda. There was no previous public discussion of this initiative, or at previous commission’s meetings, according to people familiar with the subject. It was not discussed previously with the mayor or other commissioners outside this group. The City owns this property. Green spaces and recreation facilities are very important to the residents’ quality of life. There are other areas in the city allocated for affordable housing. We should not sell it to a developer. We must do everything we can to stop this project from moving forward.
john
September 1, 2022 at 4:37 pm
ridiculous
Rosalie Ricketts
September 5, 2022 at 12:37 pm
I was present at the solicitation event and as a more than 30 yr resident of NMB I was gobsmacked and utterly disgusted with that show put on with taxpayer money. The only thing missing were the hookers. This is a blatant attempt at making money from selling a beautiful green space next to a historic landmark. Nothing from this venture will benefit anyone other than the developers and the city government that is obviously benefiting. Tons of recent developments increasing traffic to staggering numbers in a few mile radius , but absolutely nothing to benefit the recreation dept., senior citizen activities, or city services. All the outsourcing of garbage ( grossly inferior service) and everything sourced to only online service eliminating employees of NMB who were usually filled by residents of the city I challenge you to reach anyone by phone at City hall to gain information. I would love to see a forensic audit performed.
Save Parks
September 14, 2022 at 10:52 pm
Parks should be protected. Parks with sports like tennis or soccer should be protected. NOT developed.