FYI Miami: September 10, 2020
Below are some of the FYIs in this week’s edition. The entire content of this week’s FYIs and Insider sections is available by subscription only. To subscribe click here.
ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT OVERHAUL? A special meeting of Miami Beach’s Land Use and Sustainability Committee at 1 p.m. Sept. 17 is to target possible changes to the city’s famed “Entertainment District.” Brandi Reddick, city cultural affairs manager, told the city’s Cultural Arts Council this month that commissioners voted in July to “have a workshop to discuss changes that could be made in this area, including a potential, re-designation of the area as an art deco cultural area.” The workshop, she said, will be “a re-envisioning of this area that involves everything from planning and zoning to transportation to parks to infrastructure to culture. (Each) department will be presenting to the commissioners what these individual components will look” like. The Zoom meeting will be public; the access ID is 87557553162#. Details: https://www.miamibeachfl.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Sep-14-18-2020-1.pdf
SOUTH CORRIDOR CONTRACT: Miami-Dade commissioners Sept. 3 authorized Mayor Carlos Giménez’s office to sign a $368.2 million contract with transportation infrastructure construction company OHL USA Inc. for design-build services in converting the South Dade Transitway for bus rapid transit. Known as the South Corridor, the 20-mile dedicated right-of-way stretching from Kendall to Florida City is the first and longest of six corridors in the countywide Smart Plan to secure full funding and a developer. OHL will have 800 days to redevelop and upgrade the corridor, which county documents say will get “14 iconic stations with climate control elements, level boarding, improved travel time and through transit signal preemption and crossing gates at 45 intersections, dedicated right-of-way, pre-paid fare for speedy boarding, branded vehicles and stations, enhanced safety features, passing lanes at stations and real-time arrival information.”
PARK PLANS PROCEED: A new regional park is coming to Miami Gardens, as Miami-Dade commissioners last week directed staff to start on the project. Mayor Carlos Giménez’s office will prepare a plan for a park at 20201 NW 37th Ave. and find funds with which to build it, per orders in a resolution by Barbara Jordan, the district commissioner. The county Historic Preservation Board in 2008 designated the 12-acre site as the Harwood Acres Archaeological Zone, according to a memo from Ms. Jordan’s office that said a regional park there that focuses on “educating residents and visitors alike about nature, history, preservation and conservation … in a manner that is consistent with the historic archaeological designation” will benefit those who wish to enjoy outdoor space.