FYI Miami: August 8, 2019
Below are some of the FYIs in this week’s edition. The entire content of this week’s FYIs and Insider sections is available by subscription only. To subscribe click here.
PLAYING IT VERY SAFE: You’ll soon face much tighter security in entering Miami-Dade County’s main building. Starting in September, all visitors will be required to check in and get an identification badge. Once you clear that hurdle, you’ll then be sent to a new screening area that is now adding what a memo from Mayor Carlos Giménez says will “consist of six screening lanes supported by cutting-edge magnetometers, three airport quality X-Ray systems, a secondary high-sensitivity walkthrough metal detector, and additional security screeners. Modern turnstile exits will complement the screening area to assist in the control of movement throughout the building. The entire area will be monitored by additional video surveillance and other technology to enhance security.” And police as well as the screeners will be watching. Moreover, you can only go through all that security by entering the north side of the building: the south side is being permanently closed and new security bollards will encircle the fortress – that is, county hall.
BOVO SLAMS FAST LANES: Conditions on the Palmetto Expressway are “unacceptable,” according to Miami-Dade Commissioner Esteban Bovo Jr., who issued a statement July 31 denouncing the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) for installing plastic poles for “yet another express lane” on the otherwise free road. “This is not only a transportation issue but also a quality of life,” he said, because commuters are now forced to choose between paying for fast lanes or sitting longer in vehicles on the remaining toll-free lanes. “Though this is not a Miami-Dade County decision,” he said, “the county commission and the State of Florida must work together to deliver transit solutions and respond to these imminent concerns.”
TRANSIT ALLIANCE CHOICES: Transit Alliance Miami last week hand-delivered to all 13 Miami-Dade Commission offices its “Choices Report,” which the group describes as the first step in its ongoing Better Bus Project to redesign Metrobus countywide. Between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. July 31, members of the group led by Director Azhar Chougle and founder/Chairwoman Marta Viciedo live-streamed delivery of the report on Twitter to each office by way of public transportation. After receiving more feedback from residents, elected officials and experts, Transit Alliance in September is to release two redesign concepts: one focused on ridership, the other on coverage. To understand the implications of each, Mr. Chougle said, one just needs to read the report. “[But] you have to hold your commissioner accountable to reading it too,” he said in a video concluding the day’s events. “You have the information. Your commissioners have the information. It’s really important that this project is driven by you, that this project needs your input [and] starts with making very sensible decisions about transit.” View or download the report at https://bit.ly/2Yz7tIx.