Archives

Advertisement
The Newspaper for the Future of Miami
Connect with us:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin
Front Page » FYI Miami » FYI Miami: October 18, 2018

FYI Miami: October 18, 2018

  • www.miamitodaynews.com
Advertisement

Written by on October 16, 2018

Below are some of the FYIs in this week’s edition. The entire content of this week’s FYIs and Insider sections is available by subscription only. To subscribe click here.

AIR PASSENGERS GAIN: After an August decline, Miami International Airport remains slightly ahead of the first eight months of last year in number of passengers passing through the airport to arrive or depart. The total gain is a half percentage point to 30,584,672 passengers. If the flow continues at the same pace, the airport will handle just under 46 million passengers this year. International passengers are down three-tenths of a percentage point for the year to 14,791,485, while domestic passengers are up almost 1% to 15,793,187. In August, international passenger traffic fell 4.72% from August 2017 and domestic passengers decreased 0.68%, for a total decline in the month of 2.74% from August 2017.

STILL A DREAM: The $4 billion American Dream Miami mall mega-project in Northwest Miami-Dade County has seen no further development. The next step in the permitting process, administrative site approval, is still in the works and has been since July, when Miami Today first reported the process. The site plan is a detailed plan of the mall, including ground elevations, floor plans, parking, landscaping, storm water management, wetland mitigation and environmental considerations. Along with administrative site approval, the property must be platted, which is the process of legally subdividing land to create a legal description for the clerk of courts. None of these documents has been submitted to Miami-Dade, said Nathan Kogon, assistant county director of development services, and there is “nothing to report.” In August, the South Florida Regional Planning Council, a combination of South Florida mayors and commissioners, voted to recommend delay of the project over traffic concerns. Backers predicted the county would approve their concept in October, Miami Today previously reported.

ADDING TO THE FLEET: The city’s Off-Street Parking Board approved the purchase of 15 new vehicles for the Miami Parking Authority’s enforcement officers. The Operations Department plans to add 31 new parking enforcement officers in the fiscal year that began Oct. 1. Authority CEO Art Noriega said the new vehicles will enable the officers to perform their duties more efficiently and provide better coverage city-wide. The purchasing instrument to be used is a state-wide intergovernmental cooperative agreement awarded though a competitive process, and the authority will order from the awardee in the lowest contracted price range, Mr. Noriega told the board. The aggregate cost of the 15 Ford Escapes is estimated at $286,170. The board in late July approved spending up to $281,529 for 13 vehicles to replace older vehicles needing repair.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement