FYI Miami: November 12, 2015
Below are some of the FYIs in this week’s edition. The entire content of this week’s FYIs and Insider sections is available by subscription only. To subscribe click here.
GREEN FOR ORANGE BOWL: The Orange Bowl Committee is getting more cash. The county commission raised its funding for 2015-2016 through 2017-2018 to as much as $1,095,000, with $720,000 from general funds and $375,000 in police and fire rescue services. The funds will be paid out as $350,000 in cash and $125,000 in police and fire rescue services for the College Football Championship semi-final game in fiscal 2015-2016 and $185,000 in cash and up to $125,000 in services in fiscal 2016-2017 and 2017-2018. The resolution says the funding is consistent with a longstanding policy to financially support the Orange Bowl and its selection into the previous Bowl Championship Series that awarded the community four college football championship games over the past 13 years, and the Orange Bowl’s selection in the new College Football Championship System as one of only six bowls to host four semifinal games over the next 12 years.
STADIUM SCORE STILL UNSETTLED: An arbitration date has not yet been set for a dispute between Major League Baseball’s Miami Marlins and Miami-Dade County over what should be counted as the team’s share of the Marlins Park construction cost. According to the county attorney’s office, the Marlins and county have had multiple discussions with the goal to agree on the numbers. This time last year, the Marlins’ claim was $109.9 million should be counted toward the owners’ share for building the team’s Little Havana home. County auditors, however, said part of the $109.9 million did not qualify as stadium spending and were disputing 3.8%, or $4.2 million, of that total. A list of what is currently being disputed, and the precise amount, is not available at this time, according to the county attorney’s office. The stadium opened in spring 2012.
TERMINATING LEASES: The Strategic Planning & Government Operations Committee deferred discussing a resolution Tuesday that would allow Miami-Dade to regain possession of its leased property in emergencies. The legislation was sponsored by Rebeca Sosa, who was not present. Chairman Juan Zapata said the administration isn’t requesting the policy and he’d like to understand the catalyst for it. In December, the committee is to discuss the resolution, which asks to establish county policy requiring it to take measures when entering into leases of a property to permit taking it back. Additionally, the resolution would direct the mayor’s office to include provisions in all leases for termination or suspension when the county needs the site in an emergency for a public purpose.