Florida Memorial University Back To Square One In Presidential Hunt
Written by Jacquelyn Weiner on June 24, 2010
By Jacquelyn Weiner
Despite narrowing candidates to three in its search for a president, Florida Memorial University has decided to continue looking.
Reasons are unclear.
"The Board has decided to take its time to broaden the presidential search," Charles W. George, chairman of the school’s board of trustees, said in a statement. "The Board’s top priority is to hire the best candidate for the position, and we will remain diligent in selecting a person that will take the institution to the next level."
The school had previously said it would announce its new permanent head in June.
Despite being asked to elaborate on the decision and why the three finalists announced in May didn’t fit the bill, Mr. George would not comment further.
When discussing the ideal university head in May, Mr. George wrote in an e-mail that the board was "looking for great leadership and someone with the right vision."
Qualities sought included fundraising and strategic-planning experience, an academic background, "someone who can work well with a diverse communityÝand someone with great fiscal integrity," he wrote.
The search for a president began after Dr. Karl S. Wright left the post in August 2009. He had been with the university since July 2006.
Executive search firm Ayers & Associates was hired in December to list candidates, which the school’s board of trustees narrowed to top prospects for on-campus visits.
Three finalists were announced in May: Dr. Lawrence Davenport, Dr. Stacey Franklin Jones and Dr. Lester C. Newman.
All three were from out of state, had education backgrounds and 24-and-up years of professional experience, although none was head of a university at the time.
Dr. Sandra Thompson is to remain interim dean while the presidential search continues. Advertisement